Detox has been such a buzzword nowadays that the cynic in me somehow wonders how practical this craze is. Somehow I am left to think that if the physical body should be rid and cleaned out of processed food toxins then the mind needs to be cleaned up too!
These days with technology were constantly transforming our lives every which way possible; we’ve consequently turned into semi-robots attached to our mobile phones, laptops and televisions. Always checking our email, messages and newsfeed with information both relevant and irrelevant to our everyday lives.
Watching advertisements on TV, radio and now even online, reminding us of our incessant need to buy this and that, do this and do that, think about this and what nots. All these have left my mind to wander and conclude that as important as the food we put into our bodies, equally important are the thoughts we put into our heads.
Hence, I urge you to try 7 days with these 7 Steps to Junk Food and Media Detox.
1. Limit your body to the following foods:
- A lot of Water at least eight glasses a day, Fruit juice, Herbal or Fruit Teas
- Fresh Fish and Vegetables
- Brown Rice, Rice noodles, Oats, Potatoes, Beans and Lentils
- Fruits, Unsalted nuts, Live Natural Yoghurt
- Garlic, Ginger, Fresh Herbs, Pepper, Honey, Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
2. Absolutely avoid this food and drinks:
- Carbonated Soda, Coffee, Tea and Alcohol
- All Meats such as Pork, Beef, Chicken, Duck and Turkey
- Bread, Croissant and Cereals, Processed Foods, TV dinners and Fast Food
- Cakes, Pastries, Salted Nuts and Chips
- Salad Dressing and Mayo
3. Get some fresh air and engage your body in physical activity
- Take a vacation
- Take a walk
- Take a swim
- Go on a bike ride
- Go for a run
4. Be “IMMOBILE”. Turn Off Your Mobile Phone.
- Inform family and friends about what you will be up to in the next few days so they won’t worry.
- Converse with people “LIVE.”
- Appreciate your surroundings
- Be in the moment
- Be where you are
5. Fast from Media
- Turn off all other technological devices, well at least ones named the TV, the DVD player and the Internet.
- Keep magazines, newspaper, catalogues and flyers out of reach
6. Write on Real Paper With Your Hand
- Write notes. A Love Note. A Thank You note.
- Write a list. A “Things To Do Before You Die List” A “Places To Go To Before You Turn 60 list.”
- Write words. Random words have the potential to turn into poetry or song; you never know you know.
7. Quiet the Mind and Meditate
- Delve into aromatherapy. Candles and oils of the Chamomile or Lavender variety are essences for relaxation and silencing the mind while uplifting your mood.
- Practice sitting and meditation. Silence your mind. Be grateful for whatever the day has brought you.